Monday, September 29, 2008

Summer Vacation 2008- Phase 2- Mt. Zion National Park

In our humble opinions we liked Mt. Zion much better then the Grand Canyon, and we hardly saw it. We pretty much have a standing date to go back and meet Andy and Lindsay there for a week. There are tons of hiking and biking trails for all levels of expertise, not to mention the camping. We are going back, and we are going back for at least a week. Anyone interested is welcome to join us. You know how I like to get a group together!

We arrived at Mt. Zion by driving down into it by means of Mt. Carmel Hwy. What an experience that was!! My only regret was that I was in such awe that I totally spaced taking pictures till we were almost finished with the 25 mile drive. Here are a few of mine and a few I found on line to try and give you an idea of how cool this drive is.

These first two were taken by me as we were winding down into the canyon. By this time we are almost to the bottom. Mt. Carmel Hwy is mostly 2 lanes crammed in between these giant cliffs winding down the canyon. At some points they had to carve tunnels through the rock. Those pictures are coming up.


The following pics I found off the Internet at the National Parks website or just random pics when I did a search for Google images of Mt. Carmel Hwy.

Every so often they carved out just enough space along the side of the road to pull over and look out over the edge. Most of the time I could just look out my window and see over the edge just fine, thank you very much!

Inside one of the tunnels.

Outside one of the tunnels.

We loved our hotel here, Flanigans. There is a little town called Springdale just outside the park. You can catch a shuttle from any hotel to the park or trail head. This is the pool area that we had to ourselves most of the evening.






Since Joe had injured his back right before the vacation, and I wasn't feeling well, we couldn't participate in the hikes we wanted to. So we went on a mini hike right above our hotel room.

I borrowed Jake's hiking stick to make the picture look better :)
See ya next time with Andy & Lindsay in the final instalment, Salt Lake City!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

A week long hiking/camping adventure would be so much fun. Let's do it!

Betsy said...

I think that is the same drive we took a couple years ago when we went down to Arizona. It was very beautiful. We didn't stop off at Mt. Zion though. That is something I have always wanted to do.